Student government gives back

Senior class cabinet members, clockwise from upper left, Jay Raje, Carter Altman, Eric Ross, and Jordan Kang pose with Santa Claus at the Safe + Sound Holiday Party.

Courtney Nielsen, Staff writer

‘Tis the season for giving back, so Student Council and all four Class Cabinets worked together to do just that. On Dec. 7, the HHS student government volunteered at the annual holiday party for the women and children of Safe+Sound Somerset, which is an organization that aims to help victims of domestic abuse find help, comfort, and an escape.

Each grade’s cabinet had activities for the children to participate in, ranging from tattoos and coloring to “pin the tail on the reindeer.” The kids were able to run around, dance, and even take pictures with Santa.

Junior Class Treasurer Michael Shokoff says that all the work put into the party was worth it to see the look on the faces of the children.

“It was great to make the kids smile with our activities, games, and dancing along with their siblings and guardians,” Shokoff said. “It was truly an unforgettable experience.”

The gratitude of the mothers was evident as they watched their families experience the spirit of Christmas. In most cases, these families don’t have the privilege of the traditional Christmas that so many people take for granted, so to be able to give that to them was extremely moving for all.

Although many people associate presents with the holiday season, it can be difficult for many to give gifts to their loved ones. The commercialization of Christmas has created the expectation of mountains of presents under the tree, making it easy for kids to be disappointed. Fortunately, the generous donations of Safe+Sound and HHS allowed the mothers and all of the children to receive a gift.

The mood of the night was consistently light, as the goal of the party was to allow children to let loose and have fun without any fear.

Not only was it a night for the parents and children to remember, the volunteers enjoyed the party as much as the guests. Student Council President Danny Kozimbo is grateful for the opportunity to give back to the families of the community.

“It definitely felt like I was in the Christmas spirit,” Kozimbo said. “Just to know that we are making them feel welcomed and loved for the holidays is enough to make me feel really good about what myself, Student Council, and all of the class cabinets (as well as all of our advisors and volunteers) got to do.”