Winter Art Show dazzles

by Eric Booth

Junior Julian Cervantes’s “Peter Max-Styled Self Portrait” was one of many wonderful pieces of art on display. Cervantes created his art in the Graphic Design class.

Eric Booth, Staff Writer

Last week, the 2017 Winter Arts Festival Exhibition was presented by the HHS Arts Department. Featuring outstanding works from hundreds of students, the exhibition showcases a variety of different and unique styles. From paintings, to sculptures, films, and more, no part of the art field was left unrepresented. The multitude of different styles and pieces that were displayed are a testament to the committed teachings of the Art Department staff.

“It was really interesting to see how talented our classmates are,” junior Otis Reynolds said. “I was extremely surprised by the amount of artists we have in our school.”

This seemed to be a common theme among students who may not have been aware of how many artistically capable students are in the school.

Some students featured in the show worked on their project for months, meticulously working until every detail was to their satisfaction.

“I think such an important part about the art program here at HHS is that the teachers give students the tools they need to succeed, but then allow students’ own creative ideas to shape their own projects,” sophomore Dan Salazar said.

Many students see their art as an escape from the normal textbook work and other classwork. These classes allow students the opportunity to relieve stress and ease their minds, while creating stunning pieces.

Art is an important part of everyone’s life and this art exhibition brings more beauty to the halls of HHS.  Filling the school with sculptures, paintings, and photographs is a privilege that Hillsborough High School is fortunate to have. Such a well developed art department is something that many high schools may not have access to.

This Winter Art Exhibition is a prime example of the talent and the wonderful opportunities here at HHS.