“13 Reasons Why” is Available for Your Bingeing Pleasure

published under fair use

While its subject matter is heavy, “13 Reasons Why” resonates with teen viewers.

Ashley Gill, Editor-in-Chief

Spring Break is just around the corner, and if you aren’t going on vacation, there’s a chance you’ll be looking for something to do. If you find yourself bored and in search of something to watch, look no further than Netflix’s latest hit series, 13 Reasons Why.

13 Reasons Why follows the harrowing story of  Hannah Baker, a high school student who committed suicide. Upon her death, Hannah left behind 13 tapes that all explain why she decided to end her life. The tapes end up in the hands of Clay Jensen, as he attempts to discover the motive behind Hannah’s sudden suicide.

High school undoubtedly has its ups and downs, and 13 Reasons Why accurately depicts all of the feelings and experiences that typical high school students go through. Much of the show takes place inside a school, and like most teen dramas the show features all of the classic high school archetypes like the mean girl and the jock. Despite this, the show feels real, and I, as a high school student myself, felt drawn to the story line and characters.

Obviously the show has a heavy and dark premise considering the entire plot revolves around a young girl’s suicide. Despite this, the show won’t leave you with an overwhelming sadness. Instead, it will leave you pondering the message the show leaves for today’s society, and why suicide rates are the way they are.

The acting is one of the best parts of the series. Many teen dramas will feature 30-year old actors attempting to play a 16-year old, but 13 Reasons Why actually casts real teenagers to play the characters. Newcomer Katherine Langford offers an amazing performance as Hannah. Langford is tasked with playing a complicated character, and she does a near flawless job at giving the audience insight to Hannah’s hidden emotions and motives.

In all, 13 Reasons Why is definitely Netflix’s next binge-worthy series, and once you get started it’ll be hard to look away from the screen. So next week when you’re on your couch wishing you were somewhere tropical for Spring Break, flip on the TV and submerge yourself into the world of Hannah Baker.