Boys Tennis Looks to Compete with County Heavyweights

courtesy of David Spinrad

Senior David Spinrad lunges for a forehand during a recent match.

Liz Reilly, Staff Writer

The boys tennis team is ready to take on this season with some new threats in the singles competition! Max Kim, a freshman, is prepared to surprise his opponents with his high level of play, despite his young age. Another athlete, Kritik Kotharu, is a transfer student who is now a junior at HHS. He knows more about the game than most of his opponents, and is able to play to the same ability as his knowledge of the sport.

The boys team did not do as well as they would have hoped last season, and are ready to surprise their rivals this year with a new level of skill. Montgomery and Pingry, their biggest rivals, have consistently talented teams, ending up champions and runners-up annually. This year, Hillsborough hopes to compete with these teams and make a name for themselves.

“The best part about playing for the tennis team is just how fun it is to be around the other guys,” senior Andrew Henderson said. “We all realize that tennis isn’t the most popular sport in our school, but that shouldn’t stop us from enjoying the time we spend with those who share our interest in tennis. The enthusiasm many kids bring to the team is very special.”

This enthusiasm will hopefully help lead the boys to a moral and physical victory. The boys recognize that this season is going to be a challenge, but it is one that they are willing to take head on. Senior David Spinrad expresses his hope to get Hillsborough boys tennis back in the Top 20 in the state, and in order to do this, he explains that they need to beat all the teams who they lost to last year. The boys are off to a 1-0 start, which is very promising and the school looks forward to following their success!