Boro Gymnastics Enjoys Successful Season

Junior+Meghan+Kurz%2C+performing+her+balance+beam+routine.+

by Kate Shanahan

Junior Meghan Kurz, performing her balance beam routine.

Kate Shanahan, Staff Writer

Undefeated since 2014, the Lady Raiders Gymnastics team is making no exceptions this year. The gymnastics team began their 2019 season with a tight win against Bridgewater. Scoring a total of 107.1 points compared to Bridgewater’s 103.025, and began their journey towards another undefeated season. 

After losing five valuable seniors in the 2018 season, the Raiders had their work cut out for them. New additions, including freshman Katina Coyle, joined the varsity roster for the 2019 season. Coyle has been competing in gymnastics for 11 years and specializes in floor routines. 

However, being able to compete at an elite level everyday can be challenging. Coyle notes that there are many challenges that come along with the sport. 

“Being able to stay motivated even when I have a bad day,” Coyle said.

Junior Jiya Sharma has been competing in gymnastics for nine years, since she was seven. She has been an impact performer for the Raiders, and knows what it means to be apart of the team.

Being apart of our team means not only are you strong enough to be with us, but you’re determined, you’re a hard worker, and you get what it’s like to be apart of a team,” Sharma said. 

This element of Raider gymnastics was exemplified throughout their 2019 season, especially during their tight win against Hunterdon Central. Winning by 1.35 points, the Raiders were determined to maintain their undefeated record. Their progress was shown throughout the season when they faced Bridgewater for the second time this season. In their second meet against Bridgewater, the Raiders scored a total of 111.5 points, making them victorious to Bridgewater’s 106.3 points.

Senior Sam Ringel racked-up an all-around score of 38.7 points leading the Raiders to their Skyland Conference Tournament title on 18 October. As a team, the Raiders scored a total of 111.5 points defeating the seven other teams competing for one title. Additionally, Ringel placed first individually for her all-around points, beating out four other gymnasts at the meet. 

The Raiders are 12-0 on the 2019 season and will compete in the County and State Championships.  The NJSIAA Sectional Championships will be held at Hillsborough on Nov. 2 where the Raiders will battle it out for a title.