Lu’s dedication to music takes her to Grand Ole Opry

provided by Joyce Lu with permission

Junior Joyce Lu performs at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, TN.

Caitlin Decker, Staff Writer

Many HHS students play instruments, but how many have played their instrument at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville?

Junior violinist Joyce Lu, a member of the HHS orchestra under the direction of Mrs. Sarah Mederos, had the opportunity to perform on the hallowed stage through her participation in the National Association for Music Education’s prestigious National Honors Symphony Orchestra.

Lu started playing the violin in first grade, and hasn’t put it down ever since.

“I like the challenge of tackling difficult music,” Lu said. “You start with a bunch of black dots on a page, and as you practice more and more the notes actually become something that you can enjoy.”

Lu has also been quite successful, having participated in solo competitions when she was younger, such as the Russian Music Festival at Carnegie Hall and Hillsborough’s Accomplished Musician Concert.

As she has gotten older, Lu has gravitated more towards orchestral performance.

“I love the chemistry that you build with other musicians and the thrill you get from performing onstage with them,” Lu said.

A very accomplished violinist, Lu has been accepted to the Central Jersey Music Educators Association Region Orchestra every year since sixth grade, and the New Jersey Music Educators Association All-State Orchestra every year since seventh grade.

However, no one can claim that her success has come easy.  It was Lu’s hard work and dedication that earned her a place in these prestigious orchestras.

“If you don’t find time to practice everyday, you don’t just stop improving, you get worse and start losing skills,” Lu said.

Her participation in the Region and All-State orchestras allowed Lu to audition for All-Nationals.

After submitting a two-minute video recording of a solo piece, two-minute supplementary recording, and school director letter of recommendation, Lu was accepted last June when just a sophomore. Recently in October, Lu had the opportunity to perform at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville.

“It was really cool to know that I was performing at such a well-known venue, but the actual experience of performing there was no better or worse than performing anywhere else,” Lu said. “In the end, it’s just a stage, and as a performer your audience is equally important to you, wherever you’re performing.”

Lu may be a very accomplished violinist already, but she does not plan to stop playing and improving anytime soon.

“In the near future, I’m just focusing on learning as much as I can about music,” Lu said. “I’d definitely like to be part of an orchestra or chamber ensemble in college.”