Girl’s Swim Faces Painful Loss Against Bridgewater

Katie Buelt, Features Editor

After starting the season off with a streak of three wins, the HHS swim team’s success came to a shocking pause. With a final score of 69-101, the team lost to Bridgewater-Raritan in the 200 individual and relay medley, 200 freestyle and 100 backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly. This is the eighth time in five years, including both playoffs and regular season meets, that BRHS has defeated Hillsborough. Both teams had been undefeated before the matchup, and the meet’s results launched BRHS up to second place in the Skyland Conference, while Hillsborough is currently ranked fifth. Several swimmers, however, had major success, giving their rivals a considerable fight.

Senior Skylar Ward, who won the 50 meter freestyle, claimed her third first place finish of the year. Meanwhile, junior Danielle D’Ambrosio was awarded first place in the 100 and 200 freestyle, giving her a total of four this season. Junior Paige Griggs got her first win of the year, claiming first in the 500 freestyle.

Despite this upsetting end to a streak of wins, the team quickly picked up the pace, defeating North Hunterdon 103-67. Freshman Meghan Sharma  continued a strong beginning to her high school career, claiming her second first place finish of the season in the 100 breast stroke. Adding to her success, Sharma, Ward, freshman Samantha D’Ambrosio and senior Marissa Choe won the 200 medley relay. These wins, compounded with first places finishes by other athletes in the 50 freestyle and 200 freestyle relay, led to an overall successful day, dropping North Hunterdon to sixteenth place in the Skyland Conference.

On January 7, the team will face the 3-1 Montgomery Cougars, who they have defeated five times in the past four years. Both teams, however, seem to be going into the matchup with similar capability, having each won three of their last four meets. Following this, they’ll confront the 2-2 Hunterdon Central on January 21 in their final home meet. Needless to say,  the team has high hopes as they continue to challenge themselves, enjoy quality time with each other, and attempt to round out their thus far successful season on a high note.

“I love how this team is like a giant family,” said Sharma. “I expect that we will continue to win as the season goes on and have a great time along the way.”