Girls cross country runs to third place finish at the Cherokee Challenge

Matthew Patrizio, Staff writer

There is no denying that Hillsborough High School is home to incredible athletes. Of the 24 teams representing 16 different sports offered to students at HHS, the Girls Cross Country team is perhaps the most underappreciated, yet most decorated.

There is no shortage of superb athleticism among the Lady Raiders who dedicate themselves to running for our school. For a sport that does not technically start until September, the girls team begins training at the end of June, just as school is let out. Throughout the summer, optional practices are held for any runner who wishes to improve her skills. They practice all summer so that they can maintain their status as one of the best teams in the state.

This year, head coach Rich Refi hopes that his team does just as well, if not better, than they did last year. The 2015 season played host to some incredible accomplishments for the team. Not only did they win the Shore Coaches Invitational in Holmdel, New Jersey, but the team also came in first place at the Central New Jersey State Sectional Group 4 race at Thompson Park and finished second for New Jersey at the Meet of Champions State Final.

Refi stated that Paige Novak, Olivia DeLorenzo, Stephanie Mauer, and Kelly Cianciola, all runners who graduated in 2016, were instrumental in the team’s success last season. This year, sophomore Jennifer Tavares, junior Chloe Wong, and seniors Natalie Tavares and Hayley Baydar hope to lead the team throughout the season, especially against their toughest competitors, Ridge and Hunterdon Central.

Coach Refi said that his goals for this year are to run fast in November, at the Meet of Champions. All championship races for cross country occur at the end of October and the beginning of November. Refi also said that he does not name captains for his team because he believes that all senior girls should be leaders for their fellow runners. 

Tavares has a few goals of her own for her very last season on the team. “I want to be able to win as many titles as I can for my team,” Tavares said. “I also really want to have fun while I run, since this is my last year.”

Tavares plans to continue running in college if she can. “I think I’ll miss the high school atmosphere the most,” she said. “Once you’re in college, it becomes a much bigger playing field.”

This past Saturday, the girls team had their first big meet. They ran in the Cherokee Challenge at Cherokee High School in Marlton, New Jersey, against 76 other schools. The team managed to come in third overall, but placed first for the state, losing to only two teams from Pennsylvania. The girls took home a trophy, too.

The Cherokee Challenge will hopefully be just the beginning of another great season filled with individual and team successes.

“This year, I hope to make it to the Group 4 meet individually,” senior Peri Bongiovanni said. “Each year for sectionals, only the top 10 runners qualify individually, and last year I was the eleventh runner.”