Ohio State attack injures 11

by Kevin Payravi via Wikimedia Commons with permission

Pointsettias and a sign left outside of Watts Hall in dedication of the 2016 Ohio State University attack.

Alex Cole, Staff writer

On Nov. 28 at Ohio State University in Columbus,Ohio, a knife attack injured 11 people.

The killer was an Ohio State transfer student, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, who was later killed.

Just before 10:00 a.m. the attacker drove off of a curb, hitting bystanders at a university building. Then, reports claim that he used a large knife to begin attacking the citizens.

Artan was killed by Officer Alan Horujko, who many say saved lives. Horujko took three shots, and the suspect was killed.

Since the attack, the terrorist group ISIS has claimed responsibility.

Artan was a Somali immigrant, and was outspoken about his beliefs regarding the treatment of Muslims in the U.S. In fact, in an article for Ohio State University’s student newspaper, Artan was featured where he claimed that he struggles to find safe places to pray because he felt judged due to his religion.

The Ohio State Emergency Management Team was successfully able to communicate with students and faculty on campus that day, ensuring everybody was safe. Through Twitter, students were notified of the incident and its location.

President-elect Donald Trump also responded to the attack.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the students and administration,” Trump said via Facebook. “THANK YOU to all FIRST RESPONDERS who reacted immediately and eliminated the threat on campus.”

Additionally, Ohio Governor John Kasich weighed in on the situation.

“Ohio’s thoughts and prayers go out to the Ohio State community,” Kasich tweeted. “Be safe, listen to first responders.”

Luckily, no lives were taken in this horrific act. Credit is owed to law enforcement who moved with exigency, and helped save lives in a time of chaos.