Boys Lacrosse opens season, splits first two contests

courtesy of Matt Gradone

Junior Jack Casey and senior Matt Gradone are expected to be key players for head coach Mark Wilson this season.

Jennifer Klein, Editor-in-chief

As spring sports kick into action, varsity boys lacrosse has begun their season with a 1-1 record after posting a win over Rutgers Prep, and a loss to Pingry.  

Last season, Boro lax lost two key seniors Thomas Mahoney, who is now starting as a freshman at Elizabethtown, as well as Thomas Boland, who plays for Courtland.

“With losing some of my best friends last year due to them graduating, it’s really weird to be playing without them,” junior Jack Casey said.  “Filling in their shoes is a big responsibility and the team makes sure we keep our work ethic just as high as last season.”

This season, head coach Mark Wilson holds high expectations for his captains: junior Jack Casey, senior Nick Pezza, senior Collin Purdy, and senior Matt Gradone.

“As captains, we set our standards high everyday during our practices,” Gradone said.  “It’s our duty to make sure everyone is working their hardest so that we can get the best results possible.”

Coach Wilson said the boys look forward to meeting their goals of earning a winning record,  winning counties, their conference, and states.  

“We have a great bunch of guys who are just a pleasure to work with on a daily basis,” Wilson said.

While Wilson has high expectations on the field, he also holds high standards for his players off of the field.  He emphasizes the importance of being a student-athlete in high school.

“The toughest part about being a student athlete is managing your time well so you can be a great family member at home, a great member of the community, a great student in class, and a great teammate on the field,” Wilson said.