Grabon is king of the bleacher creatures

Senior Mike Grabon surprisingly wearing a shirt while supporting the Raiders.

Photo by Nick Volonnino

Ryan Gill, Staff Writer

To the average fan, high school football at Hillsborough is a just another way to spend a Friday night. You show up, mingle with friends, take a couple pictures, maybe get into a fight, and cheer on our Raiders.

While most people consider themselves the typical fan, there are a select few who take it upon themselves to go above and beyond. Decked out in face paint, body paint, and without a voice Saturday morning, they call themselves the Super Fans. Out there on those bleachers every Friday night, they scream with perfect synergy until they can’t scream anymore.

The conductor of the group and most rabid fan in the bleachers is senior Mike Grabon. He has lived in Hillsborough all his life with his two parents, Mark and Diane, his older brother Mark, and two dogs Bailey and Koda.

He is very involved in the school by participating in peer mentoring, being a lead figure in PALS, playing varsity volleyball, all while maintaining good grades.

“After school I basically do absolutely nothing so I try to get involved as much as possible by participating in the things I enjoy the most,” Grabon said.

On top of all those extracurricular activities, he is by far the most spirited person in the Class of 2016. He has been a key member of our preparation for Spirit Night with solos in the dance, critical parts in the video, and always going all out when it comes to face paint. He has always been the unofficial spirit leader for the senior class.

This year, he has taken his spirit to the next level at the school’s sporting events. During the course of football season, he has been seen wearing a Wampa hat/cape, painted his eyebrows pink, holding army can-tines, and never having a shirt on. 

This won’t stop with football season, but for all of Boro’s Sports. Whenever the Raiders are taking the field, he will be in the front row screaming the loudest.

“After three years of having no wiggle room in the crowd, I decided to step it up

I decided to step it up and lead our fans not only to win us some games but to pave the way for all the true fans out there.

— Mike Grabon

and lead our fans not only to win us some games but to pave the way for all the true fans out there that bleed maroon and gold,” Grabon said.

He’s inspired the entire Raider fan base with an intense passion unmatched by anyone in the bleachers. He energizes everyone around him and sends a certain electricity through the crowd with every cheer. As long as we have him, the Raiders will be a force to be reckon with on and off the field.