Boro gymnasts crowned county champs for fourth straight season

The+team+poses+with+wide+smiles+after+capturing+a+fourth+consecutive+county+championship+last+week.+

by Jennifer Mandell

The team poses with wide smiles after capturing a fourth consecutive county championship last week.

Elissa Nsenkyire, Staff writer

Victorious once again, the Boro girls gymnastics team adds another county championship to their undefeated record.

For the fourth year in a row, Hillsborough’s gymnasts have defeated all challengers en route to the Somerset County title.

Competing against multiple teams rather than just one, the team successfully defended its title with a max score of 111.875.

Top performers for Hillsborough included freshman Jocelyn Moore who earned third all-around with first place finishes on floor (9.625), uneven bars (9.45), and vault (9.75).

Additionally, sophomore Samantha Ringel achieved fourth place all-around with second place finishes on beam (9.5) and uneven bars (9.4), a fourth place finish on floor (9.35), and a fifth place finish on vault (9.4).

With the exceptional talent on the team, team members are more optimistic than ever about the remainder of the season. Head coach Beth Murrin is elated to join her team in celebrating her fourth consecutive win in the county gymnastics meet. It is an incredible accomplishment that not many high school coaches can achieve.

“I expected nothing less from my talented girls,” Murrin said. “They are doing more than I can ask and we can only go up from here.”

With talent ranging from the freshmen on the team to the seniors, the gymnasts were able to to showcase their skill sets, ultimately giving them the win. Nevertheless, the gymnasts have to prepare hard for every meet and because of the determination and work-ethic that they acquire, they will continue to be successful.

“We are doing really well as a team right now,” sophomore Haley Mandell said. “Everyone encourages each other and that makes us stronger as a whole. I am really excited to see how far we can go this season.”

The gymnastics team seeks to sharpen their skills as they prepare for today’s meet against South Brunswick.