HHS Theatre begins year with new director

Alex Cole, Staff Writer

As the school opened its door for the 2015-16 year, so did its theatre program, this time with a new leader at its helm.

History teacher Casie Fitzgerald assumed the role of Theatre Director this year, following the resignation of former director, Bernard J. Solomon.

Honestly, this position is a dream come true for me.

— Theatre Director Casie Fitzgerald

“I’ve been involved in theater since I was 10 years old, and it’s something that has always been close to my heart,” Fitzgerald said. “Honestly, this position is a dream come true for me.”

Fitzgerald will put her work to stage on Nov. 20 when the theatre department performs Arthur Miller’s The Crucible.

It’s an insanely complex and dramatic show,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s definitely going to be challenging to get the actors into the mindset of 1690’s Puritans.”

She hopes the fact that the play is read as a part of the school’s curriculum will inspire students to come and see the show.

Fitzgerald’s interest in theatre has been evident from a young age. In junior high, she co-directed a play and acted in high school. When she continued her education at TCNJ, Fitzgerald was heavily involved with production staff.

Assisting the new director will be Julianna LoBiondo, who will reassume her role as Musical Director, and English teacher Ashley Griffith, who will assist with the spring musical. Griffith will be the choreographer.

It is undebatable that the HHS theatre program has been known for its success over the past years. Fitzgerald understands that, and hopes to continue the success with the help of HHS’s large assortment of talented actors and actresses

“The amount of talent, dedication, and passion I have seen so far shows me that the program is capable of doing many different kinds of shows,” Fitzgerald said.

One change to the program that Fitzgerald has in mind is being able to take advantage of the school’s diverse population with varied interests.

“There is so much talent here and I would love to see students from all different classes contribute to what it takes to put on a show,” Fitzgerald said. “Art students could paint sets, graphic design students could create posters… the possibilities are endless!”

Two students who have assisted the new director immensely are Shane Erickson and Becky Wendover. Both Erickson and and Wendover are seniors and have been involved with the theatre program since they were Freshmen.

“They are two incredibly talented, dedicated, and hard working students and they have been my go-to people whenever I have a question about the HHS Theatre ‘norms’,” Fitzgerald said. “I’m very grateful that they are working with me during this transitional period.”

As HHS transitions its theatre program under the leadership of Fitzgerald, students should consider coming next week to witness the hard work students have put into the first of many plays of a new era.