Student teacher Nelson Kelly prepares for take off

by Alex Cole

Student teacher Nelson Kelly celebrates his final day with a personalized cake in his period 9 AP Government and Politics class.

Alex Cole and Michael Shokoff

Student teacher Nelson Kelly’s time at HHS has sadly come to an end. Kelly, now a senior at TCNJ, was taken under the wing of veteran history teacher Bob Fenster.

Kelly taught both United States History 1 Honors and AP Government and Politics. This suited Kelly well as he is currently majoring in History and Secondary Education and this was a great introduction.

“I’ve liked what I taught here, as American history is my favorite,” Kelly said.

Some of Kelly’s favorite parts apart from teaching American history was getting to know his students.

While Kelly enjoyed his experience, there were some learning curves.

“Staying ahead of planning and being on top of myself was rough,” Kelly said. “Especially with material I was less familiar with, I had to learn and teach it. I learned about time management, and what I’m comfortable with.”

Kelly’s students were equally grateful for his contributions.

“Mr. Kelly always puts forward a mighty effort,” senior William Chen said. “He made sure everyone understood what was going on and communicated so well with us.”

Kelly infamously had amazing review games that his students loved. He even created his own called “Kelly Ball”.

“Review games are hard, because  you want everyone to be engaged, but you also want students to have fun,” Kelly said. “You want to include everyone.”

Student teaching for Kelly was nothing short of both an enlightening and rewarding experience.

“Teaching is a learning and growing process, and I’ve definitely grown as a person and a teacher here at HHS,” Kelly said.