Chasing The Dragon Assembly

photo courtesy of Karen Bingert

Panel of speakers awaits questions from students during the “Chasing the Dragon” assembly.

Eric Booth, Staff writer

Despite the great times and cheer that the holiday season brings, there is an ongoing problem that millions of Americans continue to face every day.

The Opiate epidemic is a problem that has grabbed the youth of America by the neck, and with time, its grip has only gotten stronger. However, as a community, Hillsborough High School is determined to do all that is possible to make this issue a problem of the past.

On Dec. 13, the class of 2019 gathered in the auditorium to learn more about the dangers of Opiate use, through a documentary put together by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) and DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) called “Chasing the Dragon.” Through real life stories of addicts, the junior class was able to witness the long term physical and emotional consequences of drug use. From an interview with a mother of a 16-year old girl who died of an overdose, to a woman whose legs were infested with maggots as a result of shooting tainted drugs, students did not leave the assembly the same way they walked into it.

The video was followed by a panel of four people who all have been heavily associated with the problems depicted in the video. An HHS graduate who suffered from a heroin addiction, the Hillsborough Township Chief of Police, an Investigator from the FBI, and a drug counselor all gave valuable insight and different perspectives of how these drugs can affect one’s life. After cycling through comments from each member of the panel, students had the opportunity to ask their own questions.

Gilbert Pilarte is a Students Assistance Counselor here at HHS and was instrumental in bringing the “Chasing the Dragon” presentation to the school. Pilarte had this to say about what he hopes can be to  impact of attending such an assembly.

“Short-term and long-term, this is a problem that is continuing to concern every member of the community,” Pilarte said. “Getting people talking about this with their friends and family, and making sure that it’s known that help is available for anyone suffering is what I want people to take away from ‘Chasing the Dragon.’”

After hearing such a powerful message from these speakers, it is critical that the conversation does not stop here. Students who are facing challenges in their life need to be aware of the resources around them, and how they can be utilized to get on the right path. From the BoroSafe program, to support groups offered by the guidance department, getting help is only getting easier. With the support of students and staff working together to tackle this problem, this could be the beginning of the end for the Opiate Epidemic.