J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

J.R.+Spencer+was+voted+Educational+Services+Professional+of+the+Year.+

by Ty Kang

J.R. Spencer was voted Educational Services Professional of the Year.

Ty Kang, Staff writer

Every year, the high school acknowledges one teacher and one educational services professional of the year. This award honors the individuals who have made their students lives better everyday and the positive impact they leave on everyone they encounter.

J.R. Spencer was voted educational services professional of the year for his efforts. His ability to brighten everyone’s day is noticed by all of his co-workers. He was nominated by physical education teacher Amy Borer.

Spencer works in the child services program here at the high school and works with the students who have self-contained Autism. His occupation demands high attention and patience and Spencer has proven himself the perfect person for the job. Spencer’s prestigious award comes during his tenth year at HHS.

Rather than teaching book information and problems, Spencer aims to teach his students how to carry our their daily lives, so that they are well prepared for the future.

“In the mornings we do basic classroom work (handwriting, typing, math, money),” Spencer said. “We also do vocational training (stocking shelves, sorting mail, shredding, hole punching, stapling, filing). In the afternoon we continue vocational training in and around the school so the students get used to working in different environments. Three days a week I go to different job sites in Hillsborough to further develop their job training. We go to places such as Retro Fitness, Mary Mother of God, St. Joes, and Weis.”

On top of teaching during the day, after school he commits himself to the boys soccer and girls basketball programs. He is the junior varsity coach and the varsity assistant for the girls hoops team and coaches the boys freshman soccer team. He spends numerous of hours during the fall and winter seasons helping his players and leaving an impact on them as well.

For Spencer, his job is something he looks forward to every day. His personality, work ethic, and caring demeanor  positively impact not only his students but all those around him. Spencer is not in it for the money or the perks a teacher will receive, it is much more than that to him.

“I love the fact that I can show so many people the light of the world every day,” Spencer said.