HHS continues to be a Skyland athletic and academic powerhouse

Kurt Seidel

Shah and Seidel pose with their scholar athlete awards.

Jack Renz, Sports Editor

Students in high school are involved in a wide array of activities, from immersive academic pursuits to intense athletic commitments. While there are many athletes and scholars attending Hillsborough High School, few stand out both on the field and in the classroom.

On April 29th, seniors Brielle Seidel and Smay Shah were each awarded the Skyland Conference Senior Athlete Award. The ceremony took place at Maggiano’s Little Italy in Bridgewater, New Jersey and recognized two athletes from each school in the Skyland conference who are varsity athletes as well as honor roll students.

Seidel is a four-year varsity gymnast and ran track, while Shah ran cross country his four years at the high school and also ran track his freshman year.

“Winning the award made me feel like all my hard work, stress, and time commitment to academics and athletics had paid off,” senior Seidel said. “It was a really rewarding feeling.”

Shah also reflected on his academic and athletic careers at Hillsborough High School.

“[Winning the award] is evidence that you always have to keep a balance,” Shah said. “Being involved in sports doesn’t mean ignoring school work, and being smart doesn’t mean forgetting about your body.”

Although their final athletic seasons and academic semesters at Hillsborough are ending, both students will continue their educations next year in the honors programs of their colleges; Seidel will attend Syracuse University, and Shah has committed to Rutgers University.