Peer Mentors make freshmen feel at home

provided by Casey Townsend with permission

The Peer Mentors of HHS bonding on their camping retreat earlier this year.

Jennifer Klein, Editor-in-chief

For any incoming freshman, the first school year of high school is probably the most intimidating.  Finding one’s way through a new building, walking into classes with unknown faces, and coping with a high school workload can be a scary transition for many.  To a freshman, seeing upperclassmen with full beards can make the high school an intimidating place.  However, as the year goes on, many freshmen realize that their older peers really aren’t all that scary.

“Peer mentoring allowed me to try new things,” freshman Rob Pasternak said.  “For Halloween, I wasn’t going to wear a costume because I thought nobody else would, but my peer mentors assured me that everybody else would be dressed up, so I was able to enjoy Halloween in school.”

The initial intention of peer mentoring is to have a program made to help freshmen adjust to the changes of being in high school.  Juniors and seniors help guide the newbies along their journey of completing freshman year, as well as making friendships and connections with the upperclassmen.

Senior peer-mentor Maddie Hofmeister was inspired to become a peer mentor when she was just a freshman.

“When I was a freshman, my peer mentors made me feel comfortable in high school and they helped me learn more about the school,” Hofmeister said.  “Now, my goals for my peer mentor groups is to do what my peer mentors did for me.  I want them to not only feel comfortable in their new school, but I also want to be their friend!”

Each year a new set of peer mentors must be chosen, as previous peer mentors graduate.  The advisers of peer mentoring, student assistance counselor Gilbert Pilarte, art teacher Michael Bober, and guidance counselors Melissa Griffin and Laura Houssell, look for specific unique qualities when choosing new mentors.  Being able to lead a group is a main trait that every peer mentor must have. Confidence and individuality are also very important.  An upperclassman who is friendly, and easy to connect with possesses the much sought-after assets.

Once a set of peer mentors are chosen for each school year, a trip is held overnight.  This retreat is for team building, and getting to know one another as peer mentors.  Partners are chosen at random and this partnership determines who each mentor will work with for the rest of the year. A senior is always partnered with junior and the dynamic is proven successful.

“My partner is Wren Murray,” junior peer mentor Aryan Shah said. “Working with her is fun, and she helps me a lot. When I became a peer mentor I was a new student at HHS so she helped me adapt also. I’ve made a lot of friends through this opportunity.”

Each month during the school year, the freshmen are given a day to meet with their peer mentor groups, and a different activity is set up.  Of course, as all upperclassmen remember, the peer mentors have snacks set up for the freshmen.

The positive and friendly environment is the perfect opportunity for freshmen of HHS to have a smooth transition from middle school to high school.