Community Connections Promotes National Day of Racial Healing

Senior+Kaitlyn+Dudorf+holding+the+flyer+for+the+Day+of+Racial+Healing+event.+

by Jardin Jacoby

Senior Kaitlyn Dudorf holding the flyer for the Day of Racial Healing event.

Jardin Jacoby, News Editor

On Wednesday, Jan. 22 the local Community Connections group brought the town together at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library to discuss topics of healing and race. The group is made up of diverse town members such as students, parents, teachers, counselors, and local business owners.

Although it is not a school club it is intertwined through faculty members such as Gil Pilarte, Scott Kallens, and Dr. Cindy Assini. On top of that, students like freshman Alec Ruiter and seniors Gabi Diaz and Kaitlyn Dudorf pride themselves on spreading the group’s message through school events like the one that was hosted on Wednesday.

The National Day of Racial Healing is a nationwide movement to support racial equality and healing through storytelling, art, and other trust-building activities that lead the way to a more equitable future. Signing-up for the event in advance was not required, which seemed like a perfect example of the group’s motto of anyone and everyone being welcomed at all times. Throughout the night, participants learned how to start important conversations about difficult topics such as racial healing and discrimination. When asked why she was so passionate about the program Dundorf credited the words written on the Nation Day of Healing’s website, “To realize a society free of systemic injustice, we must come together to heal, exploring and unraveling the deeply held racial biases of the past.”

To support her beliefs Dundorf has spearheaded something else for the community, a petition for the town of Hillsborough to officially recognize Jan. 22 as the Day of Racial Healing. With the support of her fellow Community Connections members, her petition has reached almost one hundred signatures. After it crosses that number the group is hoping that it will show the Board how much the community cares about racial equality. If it passes it would mean that Hillsborough is joining the nation-wide movement to support racial healing.

“I believe we all have a role to play in a society shaped by our broken past,” Dundorf said. “By coming together to share our stories and collective humanity, we are able to take steps forward to build a more connected and equitable future.”