Delaney epitomizes what Peer Plus and PALS is all about

by Mary Dubberly

Senior Becca Delaney hanging out with Jerard Viera, Makenzie Molish, and Sami Hoq.

Matthew Patrizio, Staff Writer

Here at HHS, there are many clubs and activities offered to students that encourage them to work with a variety of people and learn leadership skills.

Senior Becca Delaney has done just that by taking on the responsibility of the Peer Plus program and Peers Assisting Learning Support, or PALS. Both of these programs that Delaney is involved with consist of working with students with special needs, or with those that are in Special Education classes.

Delaney joined the PALS club when she was just a freshman.

I always loved working with the special education students in town and this club gave me the opportunity to be in a more social setting with them before and after school,” Delaney said.

During her sophomore year, Delaney became a board member of the club. As a board member, it is her responsibility to plan each and every detail of the PALS parties, meetings, and events that take place throughout the school year.

With help from the advisers Tracey Jameson and Kimberly LaHart, Delaney is also in charge of creating slides about the club in order to get the word out and recruit interested students. PALS, according to Delaney, is not just for students with special needs. Any student in any grade who wishes to join is more than welcome to and can learn how to work with these students and have fun doing so.

When asked about the relationships between Special Education students and students who join the club, Delaney said, “PALS is a social club that forges friendships between regular education and special education students during after school parties, social events and morning meetings. Making new friends is a huge part of PALS and everyone in the club loves spending time with each other.”

In addition to PALS, Delaney is also a Peer Mentor and a member of Peer Plus. While Peer Mentoring is focused entirely on the transition of freshmen coming into the high school, Peer Plus is an opportunity for any Peer Mentor who signs up to work with Special Education students each month.

In her own words, Delaney stated that, “Peer Plus is an extension of the Peer Mentoring program that meets with the students once a month during school to do activities, games, and accompany the students on a winter field trip.”

Delaney works closely with guidance counselors and Peer Plus  advisers Laura Houssell and Melissa Griffin. While she is not technically an adviser herself, Delaney has stated that she is more than willing to step in and help whenever she is needed.

Delaney loves what she does and hopes to one day be a teacher who works with Special Education students for a living. She hopes that she can brighten the students’ days as much as they brighten hers.