Boys’ Varsity Cross Country finishes the season strong

Senior+Chris+Digricoli+sprints+to+the+finish+line+and+achieves+a+time+of+17%3A16+for+the+5-kilometer+race.+

courtesy of Mae Kellert

Senior Chris Digricoli sprints to the finish line and achieves a time of 17:16 for the 5-kilometer race.

Sam Renz, World Views editor

On Saturday, Nov. 14, the top seven runners on the boys cross country team competed in the Sectional meet at Thompson Park. Seniors Mark McLaughlin and Chris Digricoli, juniors Neel Patel, Matthew Callesano, Matthew Skikus, and Luke Cahill, and freshman Matthew Hodorowski put forth their best effort in the finale of the cross country season, which has been significantly impeded by restrictions due to the spread of COVID-19. 

Digricoli and McLaughlin finished their high school cross country careers strong, with 5k times of 17:16.00 and 18:50.50, respectively. Now, if COVID-19 restrictions will allow, the two are prepared to finish their high school running careers in the 2021 spring track season. 

Patel, Callesano, Skikus, and Cahill also placed remarkably well, with times of 17:10.20, 18:11.60, 18:51.80, 20:13.50, respectively. These core four juniors on the team, especially Patel, who placed thirteenth overall in the race and first overall for HHS, are well-prepared for their final season next year. Coaches Rosey and Puma look forward to working with these diligent athletes one last time in the 2021 cross country season. 

Unfortunately, due to a sudden injury, senior CJ Meredith was unable to participate in this meet. As a result, Hodorowski, a newcomer to the cross country team, stepped up to take Meredith’s place in this Varsity race, an impressive feat, and daunting task for someone in ninth grade. In the JV Top 7 race at Thompson Park the previous Wednesday, he managed to run his 5k in 19:25, placing 9th overall for his race and earning a medal. 

Considering his excellent performance, the coaches felt he was ready to be allowed to compete with the older student-athletes who have been training to be on varsity for years. At the last race of his first-ever cross country season, he achieved a time of 20:19.70, which is expected to continue improving in the coming years. All in all, considering his tremendous performance in this meet, he looks forward to excelling on the team in the coming years.