Boys Swim Win Big on Senior Night

Seniors+Kartik+Kher+%28left%29+and+Raymond+Lee+pose+with+the+traditional+senior+night+posters+made+for+them+by+teammates.+

courtesy of Raymond Lee

Seniors Kartik Kher (left) and Raymond Lee pose with the traditional senior night posters made for them by teammates.

Christopher Digricoli, Staff Writer

On Feb. 25, the Hillsborough Boys Swim team celebrated their seniors with a Senior Night win against Watchung Hills Regional High School. This win was especially joyous coming after two straight loses to in-conference rivals Bridgewater and Montgomery. 

“The last meet was really exciting because it was our senior night and we were able to win,” senior Kartik Kher said. “[Watchung] was really good and it was a close meet so I’m glad we were able to race well and get our first win of the season.”

The Raiders were propelled to there 95-75 win with first place performances from the 200 Medley Relay (1:47.87) and 200 Freestyle Relay (1:35.97). In the individual events, junior Matthew Kunkiewicz won the 200 and 500 freestyle with times of 1:54.04 and 5:05.90 respectively, junior George Mitev won the 100 freestyle with a time 56.32, as well as freshman Joseph McChesney winning the 50 Freestyle, with a time of 24.17 and senior Raymond Lee finishing in a close second at 24.27.

“I feel excited and prepared for hard competitions,” Mitev said. “I thought that the win against Watchung was good, but not an easy one.”

Watchung surprised many of the Hillsborough swimmers with this recent meet. Although they lost, the Warriors put up a rather tough fight opposed to last year’s 103-67 loss to Hillsborough.

The boys look forward to their next meet on March 5 against Pingry at the Hillsborough YMCA to carry the momentum and continue this winning success.