Senior Ryan Pierson Looks to Answer the Call of Public Service

courtesy of Amanda Pratt

Senior Ryan Pierson visiting NYU, the school she will attend in the fall.

Lexi Nielsen, Reviews Editor

This year, six seniors at HHS were nominated for the U.S. Presidential Scholarship Program. Among these six students, is senior Ryan Pierson. Pierson, along with the five other students, was selected based on her superior academic achievements, participation in community service, motivation, and inspiring aspirations for her future.

To work so hard throughout all your years of school is extremely exhausting. Finally having all that hard work recognized can be a big deal for many students because they realize that the good work they do really pays off. For Pierson, being nominated for this program was an honor, and she was able to appreciate her years at HHS and the people who have helped her along the way.

“I feel very honored to be recognized among so many academically talented nominees,” Pierson said. “I know that it wouldn’t be possible without all the opportunities and support I’ve received from the incredible teachers I’ve had at HHS.”

All the nominees were honored one night at the Hillsborough Township Committee Meeting on Feb. 9 where they were recognized for their achievement and granted a few moments to express their gratitude for those who supported them on their academic journey.

“It was a really great experience to be able to come together with everyone and we each got the opportunity to say a few words which was really special to me because I was able to thank my parents and grandparents,” Pierson said.

Pierson was not nominated for the Presidential Scholarship Program solely based on her academic achievements, but also for her participation in many extra curricular activities and volunteer programs.

When she is not working hard on her classwork, Pierson can be found participating in Debate and Peer Mentoring. Outside of school, Pierson volunteers her time as a teacher’s assistant at a daycare four days a week. Until the pandemic started, she also volunteered on a nursing unit at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital.

Students who are nominated for the Presidential Scholarship Program go on to do great things. Pierson is no exception to this as she plans to attend New York University in the fall to do a combined major program in global public health and nursing.

“To me, the most rewarding thing is to know I’m helping people and I hope that in nursing I’ll be able to do that every day,” Pierson said.