Diwali is Officially a Holiday for HHS

Nivedha Karthikeyan

Sparkles, fireworks, and lights are some of the things that make Diwali special.

Omika Savant, Staff writer

As of the 2022 school year, Hillsborough High School will be closed annually for Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights that took place this year on Monday, Oct. 24, 2022.  

Diwali is an honored holiday in Hindu culture, held in the period of October to November. It centers around the triumph of good over evil and is said to have begun in 527 BCE. Since then, the holiday has become largely significant for Hindus, Sikhs, and Jains (as well as certain Buddhists). 

It can definitely be said that most opinions on this change are unanimous seeing as many students participate in the annual celebration. 

“Making Diwali a holiday shows our school is becoming more inclusive and accepting of other religions and customs,”  sophomore Theresa Alex said.

Another question asked by some considers the time that it took for this change to occur. Why has it taken so long for Diwali to be made a holiday for HHS when a large portion of its students are Hindu, Sikh, Jain, and Buddhist? Although the advancement is befitting, a number of people seem to think it has been long overdue. 

“I wonder why they made it official now,” freshman Vikhya Kota said.  

Though different perspectives have been observed around the school, it is evident that everyone is glad to see this change. In order to create a positive environment, cultural inclusion is essential; students and teachers alike should be able to express themselves through their customs, and it is cardinal that schools foster that expression. 

Whether or not slight variations are present in the students’ viewpoints, all agree that Diwali is a beautiful voicing of Indian culture and should be celebrated at HHS. This step toward building a better environment is sure to be one of many.