Natalia Roszkowska experiences life as a doctor through REACH Internship

courtesy of Natalia Roszkowska with permission

Senior Natalia Roszkowska checks vitals as a volunteer at Zarephath Health Center.

Caitlin Decker, Staff writer

Each week senior Natalia Roszkowska gets to spend four hours after school immersed in the medical world—making pharmacy phone calls, faxing paperwork, and taking the blood sugar level, blood pressure, temperature, and pulse of patients. It may sound like she has an after school job as a nurse, but she doesn’t. Roszkowska has a REACH Internship which she acquired through the high school.

Some may not be aware that, as an HHS student, one has the opportunity to get internship experience right here in the local area. This is a unique and amazing opportunity for seniors.

According to its website, The REACH Senior Internship Program, coordinated by history teacher Patricia Yale-Wasdyke and overseen by history department supervisor Cindy Assini, provides students with the opportunity to explore a career path and develop practical skills while assisting a local organization that serves the public interest. There is an application process for interested candidates.

“I had to fill out an application and answer lots of questions and then meet for a quick interview,” Roszkowska said.

Internships are offered to accepted seniors in either the fall or spring semester of their senior year.

Roszkowska was able to score the fall semester internship at Zarephath Health Center in Somerset which, according to its website, provides free health-care to the poor and uninsured.

I want to be a doctor so I wanted to volunteer here to become more involved in the field,” Roszkowska said.

As she grabs patient charts, does the intakes for new patients, shadows nurses, and practices taking vitals, Roszkowska feels as if she is in training to be a doctor for the night.

It has given me a taste of what my future might look like,” Roszkowska said.

In addition to gaining experience in the field she wants to work in, Roszkowska has also been able to meet many inspiring people.

“One 89-year old veteran I’ve met is the biggest gentleman out there,” Roszkowska said.

While there are multiple medical internships, there are also many other different types that students can apply for including business, educational, law, and service. Internships may take place at a law office, municipal building, pharmacy, or even a funeral home.

In addition, students who participate are pretty much guaranteed a parking pass for the semester of their internship, which is definitely a nice perk.

Roszkowska is very enthusiastic about her experience at her internship, and highly recommends juniors to apply.

It is a lot of fun and really shows you what your job will be like,” Roszkowska said. “You also get to meet lots of amazing and inspiring people.”