High school students on the road

by Ashley Gill

Senior Mike Grabon is proud of his whip and friends Kyle Hurley, Matt DiDomenico, and Cole Norfleet are always ready for a ride in the 300.

Alex Cole, Staff writer

One of many high points for high schoolers is the time around their 17th birthday when they receive their driver’s license. After a rigorous process that includes the state written test, receiving a permit, and eventually taking the road test for their license, teen drivers finally earn that coveted plastic card. It is a card that represents a slew of new freedoms, freedoms that were never available beforehand.

While earning a driver’s license is a vital part of the maturation process, without a vehicle to drive it really is just a piece of plastic. Even though the physical license given to students who pass the test is relatively the same, the cars Raiders’ drive, however, are all different.

Many students get their own cars, while others share with parents or siblings. Also, certain students buy their cars using their own money, as opposed to students that receive the car as a gift. New versus used vehicles is also decision that first time car buyers struggle with.

“I own a 2001 Acura CL,” senior Alia Rind said. “It’s small, but it gets me around town which is all I need.”

Rind split the cost of the car with her parents, which is a popular decision made by many high schoolers throughout the car buying process.

Many believe that purchasing your own car evinces heightened responsibility, an important trait for first time drivers. Studies have shown that when you buy something with your own money, you tend to treat the purchase with more care than if it was a gift.

While many students purchase their own vehicles, others are lucky enough to receive them as gifts, usually from relatives. Not having to buy your own car can relieve a student of some of the financial burdens that come with buying a vehicle. A used car sells for an average of $15,900, and if it is bought new it can go for much more.

Another aspect of driving that students admire is the musical aspect of having a radio.

“The stereo system always makes my road trips lit,” senior Mike Grabon, owner of a 2005 Chrysler 300, said.

Lastly, the debate of stick shift versus automatic plays into the car buying decision for high school drivers. Driving automatic is oftentimes much safer and easier than driving manually. However, many drivers enjoy the thrill of driving with a stick shift.

Students, keep these options in mind as you get your license and hit the road.