Yarasheski wins HHS Educational Services Professional of the Year

by Conner Press

Guidance counselor Brian Yarasheski likes to fly under the radar, but that will be difficult for him after being named Service Professional of the Year.

Nicholas Volonnino, Staff writer

Each year a classroom teacher and an Educational Services Professional are nominated for outstanding achievement, in recognition for their diligent and exceptional work.

According to the nomination application, a recipient must:

• A superior ability to inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn
  • Be exceptionally skilled and dedicated educator in a public or charter school
  • Anticipate actively continuing in his/her teaching status for at least five more years
  • Have the respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues; and
  • Demonstrate a strong ability to foster excellence in education as evidence by ongoing contributions to the improvement of student learning and the learning environment.”

Guidance counselor Brian Yarasheski is this year’s Educational Services Professional of the Year.

“I am very grateful to receive this award,” Yarasheski said. “I love all of my students and work as hard as I can to make them all successful for when they leave high school.”

Affectionately known as Mr.Y, Yarasheski has an outgoing personality and can connect with anyone he talks to.

“Mr. Y is always there for me when I need to talk to someone,” senior Mike Ur said. “He is the man and I trust him entirely.”

Yarasheski has something that many consider to be a huge contribution to his strong connection with his students. Although he may say that he is so old, many can connect with him due to his youthful demeanor and his understanding of high school situations.

“He is such a nice guy who understands his students’ situations,” senior Emily Washbourn said.

But what do his coworkers think of him? Well, not surprisingly, they love what he has to bring to the office as well.

“He always brings energy to the office and can always make us laugh,” secretary of guidance Suzanne Kreisworth said.

What many people do not know about Mr.Y is that he was actually a math teacher before he became a guidance counselor. His experience in the math department helps him connect with students in various ways.

“Mr. Y deserved this award for his hard work and dedication to his students,” fellow guidance counselor Karen Sare said.

Yarasheski continues to work as hard as he can for his students and inspires others to follow in his footsteps.