Officer Wilde, our man in blue

by Conner Press

Officer Russ Wilde, a member of the Hillsborough Police Department, helps a student in his office.

Jennifer Klein, Editor-in-chief

When things get wild, Hillsborough High School looks at the man in blue for help.  Officer Russ Wilde has been our school’s police officer since 2008.

Working at a high school, Wilde fulfills many roles such as being a resource for law related education, an informal counselor, and of course, a police officer.

In constant interaction with the students, Wilde gives informal counseling to anyone who needs it.  This counseling can range anywhere from offering meditation practices to guiding students and parents to an appropriate agency.

“The best part of my job is the interaction I get to have with the students,” Wilde said.

Wilde will occasionally go into classrooms and speak about law enforcement related subjects.

As a college student, Wilde changed his major from Computer Science at Dean Junior College to Criminal Justice at Stockton State.  In 1992, he got his Bachelor of Arts degree in the field of Criminal Justice.

Wilde became a Police Dispatcher for Hillsborough in 1993 and applied for the position of police officer soon after.

In 1994, Wilde graduated from the Somerset County Police Academy, and started his work in the Patrol Division.  Soon after, Wilde came across a position at HHS for an SRO (school resource officer) , and Wilde quickly jumped at the opportunity.

“I thought it would be a great change and experience working with kids and being a positive role model,” Wilde said.

Wilde is extremely passionate about the SRO Program, which focuses on reducing incidents of delinquency, drug and alcohol abuse, violence, bullying, peer pressure, and vandalism.

Before concerns become actual issues, the SRO takes proactive steps to protect everyone in the building. The program is an effective way to create positive relationships between youth and law enforcement.

Wilde finds it very important for the youth to have relationships with adults in law enforcement, which is why so many students find him to be “the cool cop.” 

“We are really fortunate to have Officer Wilde in our building,” Vice-Principle Hillary Charney said. “The administration can consult with him to get another point of view if there is an issue.  He is also there if a situation arises with people who should not be in the building.”