Students see production of “The Piano Lesson” at McCarter Theatre

by T. Charles Erickson, with permission

John Earl Jelks and Cleavant Derricks perform in August Wilson’s “The Piano Lesson.” The play runs through Feb. 7.

Alex Cole, Staff writer

On Thursday, Jan. 21, HHS sophomore and junior English students attended the McCarter Theatre’s rendition of August Wilson’s The Piano Lesson.

The trip was open to all English II Honors students, along with some English II and English III CP classes.

The Piano Lesson follows the story of an African American family in Pittsburgh during the 1930s. Boy Willie (Stephen Tyrone Williams) and his sister Berniece (Miriam A. Hyman) ensue in an altercation on whether or not to sell the family’s cherished piano. The problem stems from the idea that this piano is not an ordinary instrument, as the family’s history is embezzled upon its wooden exterior.

Directed by Jade King Carroll, the show opened students’ eyes to the mindset of the African American community during the Great Migration.

The trip was organized by English teachers Ken Shindle and Jacqueline McGill, and department members Shawn Layton, Lori Herring, and Kimberly Fajardo attended the play as well.

“I thought the play was really well done, well acted, and incredibly entertaining,” Shindle said.

The rest of the cast included John Earl Jelks as Doaker, David Pegram as Lymon, Frances Brown as Maretha, Owiso Odera as Avery, Cleavant Derricks as Wining Boy, and Shannon Janee Antalan as Grace.

“I was proud to see my culture portrayed so well on the stage,” Herring said. “It was very nostalgic for me because I saw the humble beginnings of my parents and grandparents portrayed on the stage.”

The purpose of the trip was different for different classes. The sophomore honors classes went on the trip in order to prepare themselves for a unit centered on African Americans. English III students read the play prior to the trip, while English II Honors students will read Wilson’s work later in the year.

Students had very positive thoughts regarding the show, including sophomore Rakesh Senthilvelan.

“It was an entertaining play that managed to incorporate humor, loss, conflict, and forgiveness into one package, Senthilvelan said”

Overall, the trip was undoubtedly a success, and Shindle looks forward to taking future classes on similar trips.

“I would definitely go on this trip again,” Shindle said. “I think the bulk of my students enjoyed the performance, and everything ran incredibly smoothly.”