Music Studio hits a high note with student musicians

Sophomore Jake Romano jammin' on the guitar in Music Studio.

By Conner Press

Sophomore Jake Romano jammin’ on the guitar in Music Studio.

Joey Bloch, Editor-in-chief

HHS has always had a wide variety of clubs in which students can participate. This diversity has ranged from the Birding Club to the Rugby Club. Although there are many options to choose from, there hasn’t been one quite like the newly founded Music Studio.

Music studio is a place for like-minded people who like to sing, play an instrument, and/or make films. This innovative club aspires to give students a chance to express themselves through multiple aspects of music production as well as a place where they can collaborate with others. Even though the club is cutting edge, it is hardly a new idea.

“It was initially my idea, but it grew out of conversations I had with several musicians who play in the HHS Debate shows (Variety Show, Battle of the Bands, Unplugged),” Adviser and social studies teacher Bob Fenster said.

This also came out of Fenster’s participation in an online group over the last few years where he learned a significant amount about what it takes to make music from songwriting all the way to video production. With these new learned techniques, he plans on harnessing all of the talent the high school has to offer. Though, not all of the work of the students will be done at club meetings.

“We expect most of the work of Music Studio to be done on the members’ own time away from school,” Fenster said. “The writing and recording will mostly be done at home.”

The meetings of the club will mostly serve to check in with one another, giving updates on their projects and starting new ones. At the moment, meetings will occur every other Tuesday as finding an optimum meeting time is a current predicament for the club.

“Students are very involved with a number of other activities,” Fenster said. “The good news is that members can participate without even attending meetings as we’ll have an online presence.”

That online presence is expected to be very prevalent as Music Studio participants will post their creations on websites such as Soundcloud and Youtube. In addition to publishing their works online, the club will also work alongside each other to produce a full length, studio quality album. The new club also allows for students to learn skills that they have not previously had before such as playing an instrument or writing a song.

“Regardless of one’s experience and skill level, the best way to improve at making art is to do more of it,” Fenster said. “We have a lot of talented people at the school and this club will give them another opportunity to find an audience.”

If you want to improve upon your craft, learn more about music production and/or just want to have fun, join Music Studio.