Electives you might have overlooked

by Conner Press

Social studies teacher Jennifer Fraunberger leads her Genocide and Holocaust through sensitive and powerful material.

Alex Cole, Staff writer

Public Speaking. Basic Foods. Video and Film. Wood Tech. Art 1. All of these classes are filled year after year when it is time to pick the next year’s schedule. 

However, as the date students choose classes for the 2016/17 school year approaches, students should consider some electives that often receive less publicity.

One of these semester courses that students should consider is Shakespeare’s Comedies, taught by English teacher Shawn Layton.

According to the Program of Studies, this course opens students’ eyes to the humorous comedies written by Shakespeare, which are not as widely read by Hillsborough students as his tragedies.

“It is a great class because in all other classes, students study tragedies or histories, but in this class the lighthearted world of comedy takes center stage,” Layton said.

Another elective, also taught by Layton, is Baseball: The Soul of America. The class studies American history and culture through the lens of baseball.

“If you love baseball and are interested on its influence on American history and culture, this would be the course for you to take,” Layton said.

Other electives which do not garner enough love Publications Yearbook and School Newspaper. Students such classes embark on a great opportunity to put together the HHS yearbook each year and post online stories to the school newspaper website.

“I feel like I have a job and that the work I’m doing is important to not just me, but the school,” sophomore Caroline Pabst said regarding the class.

Genocide and Holocaust is an elective that teaches students about the horrific events of the Holocaust, and even allows students to witness the testimonial of a Holocaust survivor.

“Students should take this elective if they are interested in learning not only about the different genocides, but also connecting historical events to the present, and talking about what is happening in today’s world,” social studies teacher Jennifer Fraunberger said.

For students interested in writing, Creative Writing provides students with the opportunity in writing poetry and short stories. Taught by English teacher Ken Shindle, the class runs for one semester.

Sophomore Zain Moin, who took the class in the 2014-15 school year, enjoyed the class greatly.

“Creative Writing was an amazing class,” Moin said. “It really allowed me to used my imagination.”

As the scheduling process gets underway, hopefully you consider some of these electives that do not get the credit they deserve.