National Honor Society Inductions held last Tuesday night to recognize new members

courtesy of Ben Trybulski

NHS Vice President Ben Trybulski lights a candle at this year’s induction ceremony while fellow officers oversee the ceremony. The officers from left to right include Viswajit Kandula, Viral Shanker, Phil Masiakowski, and Olivia Delorenzo.

Caitlin Decker, Staff writer

Last Tuesday night, the auditorium was packed with family and friends who looked on proudly as new members of the National Honor Society, headed by English teacher Christine Cilio, were recognized at the formal induction ceremony. Second year members were also in attendance to welcome the new inductees. Senior NHS member Elena Wei provided the music for the entrance and exit of members as the event’s pianist.

According to the organization’s website, the NHS chapter at HHS, founded in 1971, works to improve the school community by promoting the pillars of the Society: Scholarship, Character, Leadership, and Service. NHS is open to all eleventh and twelfth graders who meet the society’s requirements in these four areas. This year’s students made up one of the largest groups of NHS inductees HHS has seen in recent years.

The ceremony was organized by Cilio and run by its student officers, all seniors, including president Phil Masiakowski, vice president Ben Trybulski, secretary Olivia Delorenzo, PR representative Viral Shanker, and treasurer Vis Kandula. Each officer had a large speaking role at the ceremony, some speaking about one of the four pillars in a personally written speech.

In addition, returning members each introduced a new member, sharing a short statement about his or her accomplishments. Many inductees chose to have their involvement in school sports, club, and organizations such as Peer Mentoring mentioned, but others took a more comical route.

“I introduced Matt Williams who wrote that his biggest accomplish so far was being inducted into the National Honor Society” senior NHS member April Tong said. Williams’ comment, and others like it that made many audience members laugh, helped to keep the atmosphere of the ceremony light.

“It was a very nice ceremony and made me excited to be in NHS,” junior Rebecca Della Croce said.

In order to be inducted and remain a member of NHS, the HHS website states that a student must take at least 30 credits each year, keep a weighted GPA of at least 95.0 unrounded, and demonstrate sustained dedication to leadership, service, and good character. Incoming members must show evidence of at least one sustained leadership position and 20 hours of uncompensated service.

The Faculty Council, made up of an undisclosed group of HHS staff members, carefully reviews each application, and must unanimously agree that a student should be inducted into the society. Candidates are notified by the end of February about whether or not they have been chosen. They then attend the official ceremony in March.

Throughout the year, new NHS members are required to complete four hours of community service, while returning members must complete eight. All members also participate in tutoring fellow students at HHS in a student to student tutoring program held before and after school.

Mandatory NHS meetings are typically held two Tuesdays a month before school. Sophomores interested in applying next year should be sure their GPA is at least a 95 unrounded so they will be eligible to apply next fall.