Sophomores share pearls of wisdom to the class of 2020

Grant Gibbs

English teacher AJ Smith instructs his ICP class in the fine art of literary analysis.

Brooke McCormick, Staff writer

Sept.6 was just another first day of school for the seniors, juniors, and sophomores, but for the freshmen, it was a memorable day in which they made the leap from middle school to high school. Going from the middle school to the high school may be difficult for many freshmen, as a typical day at HHS is very different from the familiarity of middle school.

Currently a sophomore, I experienced the feelings of nervousness and anxiety that the freshmen currently have toward the new school year. With that being said, who better to give advice to the new freshmen than the sophomores?

To ease the anxieties of the freshmen, and to help them have a successful school year at HHS, here are some words of wisdom from sophomores who have survived their first year.

To start, freshmen should get involved in extracurricular activities.

“Joining extracurricular activities at HHS helps you to make new friends, while also giving you the opportunity to spend time with the friends you already have,” sophomore Cassidy Bayer said.

Another great piece of advice comes from sophomore Gina Dorsey.

“Do not be afraid to reach out to upperclassmen or teachers if you need help, or if you are lost,” Dorsey said.

Navigating the school for the first couple of days may seem overwhelming, but there are many people around that are happy to help you find your way.

“Make sure that you change for gym! It is super easy, and not changing may cause you to fail the class,” sophomore Alexandra Lasin said. “Failing would require you to go to summer school in order to earn the credits for the year.”

As ridiculous as this may sound, people actually fail gym, and are required to walk laps around the “Big Boy” trail in order to pass the class.

“Do not just decide to play it safe; if you are able to, try to challenge yourself by taking some honors classes,” sophomore Emma Lakritz said. “It might require you to complete more work, but all of it pays off, as honors classes look good on your college resume.

Also, if you are struggling in any of your classes, never be afraid to ask your teachers for extra help. Classes may be more difficult than expected, especially if you are taking honors classes. If this is the case, and what is being taught in class is confusing to you, your teachers would be more than happy to give you extra help. Just remember that it is important to fully grasp a concept before moving onto the next.

Lastly, make sure to have fun this school year by attending school sponsored events, such as sporting events, school dances, and Spirit Night. There are only four years of high school, so remember to have fun, and not let the schoolwork consume you. By following these pieces of advice, there is no doubt that freshman year will be a great one!