Gymnastics flips into action

Jim Tran, with permission

Sophomore Brielle Seidel prepares to land her dismount as head coach Beth Murrin oversees the action.

Grant Gibbs, Staff writer

“Aye BG” is back and ready to remain a powerhouse in the state. The past two years, the girls gymnastics team has gone 10-0 and 9-0. With a record like that, the gymnastics team has huge expectations to live up to and can possibly even exceed them. But how?

The team has lost many essential members from the class of 2016, including Sarah Pallay and Natalie Onderko who both lead the team to undefeated titles throughout their high school careers. This year, senior all-around gymnast Kira Solt returns as the lead scorer of the team, alongside junior Stella Pashaian, junior Kelly Brady, and sophomore Cindy Liu. Other key members who specialize on certain events include junior Grace Dinunzi (floor specialist), and sophomore Brielle Seidel (floor and bars specialist).

Along with the returnees, some newbies will play intricate roles for the team as well. One being freshman Samantha Ringle who will be competing all around throughout the season.

With such a variety of talent on the team, it seems almost impossible for Hillsborough to have a weak event, and that’s another reason why Boro gymnastics is so successful. If one gymnast doesn’t seem to score as well on uneven bars for example, head gymnastics coach Elizabeth Murrin will just put another girl who can score well to compete on that event. They have that kind of accessibility.

“Our strength is definitely our depth,” Murrin said. “We just have a lot of people that are capable of scoring [well] on multiple events and being a top performer in county and conference competition.”

Another strength that seems to be very visible to anyone involved with athletics at HHS is the gymnastics team’s chemistry. Everyone on the team is very close and well bonded.

“We’re like a little athletic family,” Murrin said. Boro gymnastics is not only limited to the school. When they’re not doing high flying flips, you can catch them all hanging out together having a good ole time relaxing from their intense practices.

As for weaknesses… well, there are none. BG is simply a powerhouse that will crush anything in its path. Just kidding (kind of), there are some slight challenges that the team has had to adjust to already. The main one being the switch of roles on the team. This year there are a lot more younger girls than there are older girls. There are only two senior captains on the team: Lauren Tran and Solt. Taking on the role of captains is a tricky thing, but everything is smooth as silk so far.

Boro gymnastics is well underway, with the team already beating Montgomery at a meet on Sept. 8 by a solid 5 points, which is a lot in the gymnastics world.

The team is currently prepping for the Raider Invitational this Saturday, Sept. 17 at HHS! Make sure to check out the powerhouse of a team yourself then! Until then, “AYEEE BG!”