Who’s that dude on the cheer team?

Liz Reilly

Senior Grant Gibbs joined the varsity cheer-leading team this season.

Liz Reilly, Staff writer

Give me an R! Give me an A! Give me an I–wait, is that a boy? The turf is not the only new thing at football games this year.

Senior Grant Gibbs has become the first male cheerleader in Hillsborough High School history. Gibbs grew up a competitive gymnast, and a successful one. But like many young athletes, his passion for the sport faded. However, his true love remained for one event: floor. In an attempt to keep up this interest, he turned to something he had spent more than half his life hating, cheerleading.

Gibbs explained that gymnasts grow up learning to look down upon cheerleaders, as if they were trying to imitate the sport of a gymnastics at a “sloppier” level. But it did not take long for Gibbs to learn he could not be more wrong. All Star cheerleading is an intense sport with advanced levels of tumbling, stunting, jumping and choreography.  

For those of you who are foreign to the cheer world, All Star cheerleading and high school cheerleading could not be more different. There is no actual cheering in All Star cheer, but rather a 2.5 minute routine of strenuous skills. High school cheer is what you see under the lights every Friday. It is fun-filled and spirit-oriented.

Joining the cheerleading team as the first male member, Grant knew there were going to be some people who would give him a hard time socially. “For whatever reason, cheerleading is portrayed as a girls only sport, so I knew some people were going to find it odd that I joined the squad and might make fun of me out of their confusion, but ultimately I just keep my head high and keep doing what I love and what makes me happy, because that’s all that really matters in the end,” Gibbs said.

It takes confidence and bravery to make such a step as to be the first person in your school to do something. However, not everyone finds it unusual for Gibbs to join the squad. The veteran cheerleaders have been accepting of the addition to their team with open arms.

Grant has been a great addition to our team,” head coach Danielle Depirri said. “He has brought positivity to our team: he always makes the team and me laugh, has brought new ideas in implementing certain coed components for games, and has brought his talent to be a strong addition to our team. With such a vast support system behind him, it is easy for Grant to succeed this season.”

As aforementioned, making such a leap to become the first male cheerleader at your school takes an immense amount of courage and strength. That is just the type of person Gibbs is, and anyone that knows him, knows that.

To other students who want to try something new but are afraid, here is some advice: do what makes you happy. If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else thinks, you will end up escaping your own happiness in order to avoid the possibility of being judged.