Mold still causing problems, some suggest a link to Mold Cold

by Eric Booth

The auditorium remains closed due to mold issues in the school.

Eric Booth, Staff writer

The growth of mold in different areas of the high school is something that has faculty members along with students of HHS worried. This mold was first discovered in the auditorium but it became clear that it was all throughout different areas of the building. From the 100’s to 800’s at least 10 different rooms tested positive for mold or air quality issues.

This is something that is making students concerned. An alleged “Mold Cold” has been moving through the school. Right now there is not clear evidence that this ailment is actually a direct result of the mold, however a growing number of students are complaining of consistent symptoms that appear to be aggravated in certain parts of the building. The Mold Cold has been hitting harder with some students than others.

“In some of my classes, it gets pretty bad,” sophomore Chris Smith said. “I want to think that my classrooms are clear but I just feel sick.”

This issue is something the district is not taking lightly by any means. Anything giving a potential risk to students or faculty is an automatic top priority to resolve. From testing numerous classrooms, to actually going into areas and removing the mold, the bill has nearly reached 300 thousand dollars.

Rooms tested positive for mold were secured and cleaned, while classes were relocated elsewhere. Taking it is far as replacing carpets and even installing large-scale air scrubbing and air dehumidifying systems.

“Let me once again assure you that we are taking this very, very seriously and proceeding with the utmost caution and prudence,” Principal Karen Bingert said n a letter regarding the issue.

Safety of her students and faculty members is something Principal Bingert has always been high on her list of concerns.

Moving forward, students should be concerned about this problem, but not distressed. The district is taking the correct precautions to ensure there is no danger to students. This issue is in the process of being taken care of and soon the healthy learning environment that has been Hillsborough High School for years will return.