Girls volleyball readies itself for Senior Night

Senior Faith Adams unleashes a powerful spike. Adams and her classmates celebrate Senior Night Oct. 18.

courtesy of Jillian Boose, with permission

Courtney Nielsen, Staff writer

As all high schoolers can attest, the thought of finishing school is bittersweet. This is especially true for the seniors of the girls volleyball team, who will soon reach the end of their high school athletic careers.

The fall sports season is flying by for seniors Natalie Minter, Jordan Williams, Marisa Mazuera, Izzy Gonzalez, Lianna Bruno, Faith Adams, and Erika Ravaioli, all of whom have been playing volleyball since freshman year.

In regards to her final year in the program, Bruno says that it has gone by fast.

“It feels like I was just starting the program a sa freshman,” Bruno said. “And now I’m only a month from finishing.”

With a record of 8 and 6 for the season so far, the team has been working well together to pull off wins against many teams across the state, including rival Bridgewater.

Not only have they been a well-oiled machine while playing, the camaraderie of the team is evident even off of the court.

The seniors have proven that they possess impeccable leadership skills, allowing the entire team to work cooperatively.

“I feel like we have to play our best and be good role models to set a good example for the underclassmen,” Williams said. “I remember being a freshman and really looking up to the seniors.”

This year marks the first time the program has had a freshmen team, which will only make the Hillsborough volleyball even stronger for years to come. According to Ravaioli, the additional teammates comes with additional responsibility.

“I feel like the freshmen look up to us, and we see how far we have come since we were in their shoes,” Ravaioli said.

With the season shortly coming to an end, it’s time to show your support for the seniors of the volleyball team as they take on Colonia High School for Senior Night on Oct. 18.

The class of 2017 may only be one month into their senior year, but they have already made a lasting impact on the underclassmen. Junior Jillian Boose says that over the past year she has become close with all of the seniors and is looking forward to the rest of the season with them.

“I feel like every time I’m with them I don’t only become a better player but I become a happier and overall better person,” Boose said.  “I can’t even begin to think about what I’m gonna do when they all leave.