New teachers bring enthusiasm to 466 Raider Boulevard

by Eric Booth

English teacher Karie Kwietniak instructs her sophomores in the fine art of literary analysis and close-reading.

Eric Booth, Staff writer

This year, HHS welcomed some new faces to the school faculty. So far, 16 new staff were hired and have begun work. This includes two new nurses, two new aides, five new teachers, four long term subs, a new director of guidance, and new teachers in the technology, social studies, special education, world languages, and  family and consumer sciences departments. We’ve also added staff to the child study team and hired two new teacher’s aides.

Karie Kwietnick, who was a long term sub last year has joined HHS in a permanent teaching position in the English Department. New to the teaching staff are Christopher Brophy (Social Studies), April Fleming-Richard (Special Education), Jill Kalyankar  (Family and Consumer Sciences) and Cori Goldberg (World Language). Not only is it Goldberg’s first year at HHS, she is also beginning a new course, the American Sign Language Class. Despite it being her first year she is already doing well and the students seem engaged.

“I am impressed with the interest level in the ASL program and I look forward to seeing my students learn and grow throughout the year,” Goldberg said.

Michelle McKeown and Rachelle Hanna have joined the experienced staff in the Health Services office this year as nurses. This time of year, the office will definitely be busy and having two additional nurses to help keep things healthy is very important. When asked about goals for the year, Hanna revealed some serious plans

“ To get to know everyone’s special health needs and have everyone feel comfortable at the Health Office is a priority,” Hanna said.

Jessica Smedley was hired in the new position of Director of Guidance for the entire school district. She came to us from East Windsor Regional High School and has already settled in with a packed schedule of standardized testing dates and college applications.

Stefanie Markey has joined the Child Study Team as a Learning Specialist.

Thomas Fresco has joined Technical Services as an HHS Computer Resource teacher. Kim Morales and Shruti Rajpa have been hired as teaching aides. A number of long-term subs have also been hired. They include Alicia Velez, Angel Menendez, Michaela Hady, and Jason Rudich.

We welcome these new staff members and hope that they have a great experience at HHS.