Life as an LGBTQ+ student at HHS

by Grant Gibbs

Senior Grant Gibbs at the NYC Pride Parade in June.

Grant Gibbs, Staff writer

It takes a lot of strength and courage to be able to stand tall and be who you are. In a society that is constantly telling you what’s “right” and what’s “wrong”, it sometimes becomes difficult to figure out if you’re doing it “right.”

Most of us were raised with TV shows about a high school girl falling in love with a high school boy, and movies about a knight in shining armour saving the princess in distress. In high school, we witness girls talking about how hot the boy in her gym class is, or boys talking about what girls they’re going to “get with” at so and so’s party this weekend. Now, picture yourself with all of this in mind, knowing that you’re exactly not what is constantly being thrown in your face. It’s a really scary thought, and one that crosses the mind of numerous high school students, including us here at HHS.

Fortunately, HHS is a relatively safe and accepting space for LGBTQ+ students. There is a Gay Straight Alliance club that meets every Wednesday after school (for more info on that, email [email protected]) and wonderful student assistant counselors that you can see to talk to about literally anything. However, something I think a lot of people don’t fully understand is how much of an internal struggle it is to come out and be 100% true to yourself. We’re afraid of being looked at differently, we’re afraid of what our friends would think, and we’re afraid of how our family will react.

In my personal experience, I completely lucked out. I am blessed to have such an amazing family who loves me for who I am, and was not phased by me being LGBTQ+. My friends didn’t care at all either, and that’s how it should be. People aren’t defined solely on their sexuality, and this new information about someone should not alter your opinion of them. If someone trusts you enough to come out to you, hug them and say, “I don’t care and I love you for you.”

Throughout my high school career here at Hillsborough, I’ve dealt with harassment from only one single person. Though it is unfortunate that this happened to me, I do think that it is a rare case at HHS. However, that still does not hide the fact that incidents like this do happen, even here. I’ve been called derogatory gay slurs by this individual numerous times on the internet and in person (never to my face though, because cowardice.) Never did I do anything to deserve this, yet it still happens. Sure, the words hurt but do I let it affect me? Absolutely not, and neither should anyone else who may be in the same boat.

If someone is harassing or bullying you for who you are, tell someone. Don’t retaliate to the immaturity. The teachers, guidance counsellors, or vice principals will handle all of the action.  Instead, let them say it while you silently stare and tell yourself, “I’m perfect just the way I am, and this lowlife ain’t gonna go anywhere in life,” because it’s true.

I wish we lived in a world where coming out of the closet wasn’t even a thing, and I hope in the future I’ll be able to come back and visit an even more open and accepting Hillsborough High School. I hope to see health classes that directly acknowledge the LGBTQ+ community, instead of alluding to it. I hope insecure bullies are non-existent and people treat everyone, no matter the circumstances, with respect. And I hope everyone will have the confidence to be whoever they want to be, because you are beautiful just the way you are.

To those who may feel alone, know that you are not alone, and it does indeed get better. My email is always open for anyone seeking advice, or just want to talk: [email protected]