Choosing a College: What to Consider

by Grant Gibbs

Senior Nicole Girardi carefully considered her options before ultimately choosing University of Delaware.

Grant Gibbs, Staff writer

With deadlines to commit to college coming quickly, many seniors at HHS have already decided on where they are going to spend the next four years of their lives. Picking a college is a huge life decision, so The Voice asked seniors Karnik Patel, Samantha Polyak, and Nicole Girardi what were the biggest factors they considered when choosing a college.

The academics and majors offered at different colleges are huge factors why students decide to enroll. Samantha Polyak, for example, will be attending West Chester University this fall and was drawn to the school for its strong exercise science program. Many schools are known to be strong in certain majors which attract certain students.

The cost is another huge determining factor in what goes into selecting a school. Karnik Patel was set on going to Rutgers, but made a smarter decision for himself. “I was going to go to Rutgers, but I decided on going to RVCC because I knew it would be a financially smarter decision for me,” Patel said. Americans owe roughly $1.7 billion in college loan debt, so college debt is definitely something that crosses an incoming college student’s mind.

A college’s location and campus is teken into consideration too when selecting a college. Nicole Girardi, who will be attending the University of Delaware in the fall, said that she chose UDel because it feels far away from home, yet is still relatively close. Also, the campus beauty and surrounding town has a lot to do with one’s decision.

“The campus was beautiful,” Polyak said. “I loved the overall rustic feel of the University. The surrounding college town is really nice as well.”

Finally, the overall atmosphere of a school can be a determining factor. You want to make sure you will feel comfortable wherever it is you go, so being able to visit the campus and feel the vibes the people and the atmosphere give off is a really positive thing.

“I’m going to UDel because the atmosphere really appealed to me,” Girardi said. “I felt really comfortable on campus; It was very warm, welcoming, and inviting.”

To those who have already committed to colleges, congratulations on making such a huge decision and good luck this fall!