The Voice

Steve Stephens Found Dead

Eric Booth, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Tragedy struck the city of Cleveland, Ohio, this past weekend. Robert Godwin was walking down a street in the Glenville neighborhood after enjoying an Easter meal with his family. Little did he know that this meal was his last.

While walking, Godwin was approached by Steve Stephens, a 37 year-old male. Gripping his smart phone and .45 Glock, Stephens raised the gun to Godwin’s head and fired. The whole exchange was recorded on Stephens’s phone and broadcasted over Facebook Live.

The video was viewed widely over social media before it was eventually removed, but the damage had been done. In the approximate 3 hours that the video was online, it received 1.6 millions views and countless numbers of shares. The travesty for the Godwin family, was the loss of their patriarch at the whim of a psychotic killer.

Stephens then fled the city in his white Ford Fusion and went on the run. Authorities quickly made this a high priority case and Stephens was put at the top of the Most Wanted list.

With the aid of social media and tips provided, Stephens’s luck ran out. In the normally quiet town of Erie, Pennsylvania, an order at McDonald’s was what sealed his fate. A diligent employee at the McDonalds drive-thru reported the vehicle and then stalled him, allowing time for police to respond. After 24 hours, left with no options and nowhere to run, Stephens was surrounded by state troopers. He ended his life with a gunshot to the head inside his car.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for donations to the Godwin family, and in only a few days it has raised more than $25 thousand. Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg, has said that the company will be reexamining its Live Video procedures to insure that something like this will not happen again.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The student news site of Hillsborough High School
Steve Stephens Found Dead