Sophomore Sportscenter emerges as champion

Sophomore Sportscenter gets hyped at the start of Spirit Night. They ended up winning Spirit Night.

by Jennifer Klein

by Jennifer Klein

Brooke McCormick and Eric Booth

This year, the sophomore class upset the upperclassmen by taking first place at Spirit Night. Despite falling behind early on for Spirit Year to the Juniors and Seniors, the sophomores got it together and pulled out the win at Spirit Night. Numerous wins in the majority of the categories helped the sophomores to secure their victory.

Leading up to the big night, Spirit Day was full of excitement. The day started out with the commons displays and murals, visible to all students and teachers who passed by. The sophomore display was a sports newsdesk that was complete with lights and other studio props. The sophomores received third place for their commons display, which was a major step up from from last year.

Additionally, the sophomore mural painted the scene of a locker room, involving a diverse group of sports and activities, while the Sophomore Sportscenter logo, that was also on the shirts, was located in the middle of the mural. Lots of time and effort went into the mural, and it paid off when the sophomores received first place; this is a huge improvement from last year when they got third place.

When asked about what she likes most about painting the mural, Laurel Walsh, the student in charge of the mural, said, “I like seeing people from all different social circles come together to make art that represents everyone; there were people from band working alongside guys from lacrosse, and I thought that was pretty cool.”

Adding to the hype of the day was seeing so many sophomores sporting their Spirit Night shirts around school. These shirts were a big hit with the judges, earning the sophomores second place in this category for the second year in a row.

During third period, the Sophomore Sportscenter video was shown to the entire school. It starred numerous students, but the main characters Jerry and Morty were played by Sean McGrath and Dan Salazar, while the villain was played by Cade McKeever. The video was about a boy who gets trapped inside the sports network after discovering a special remote. To get out, he must win in each sport, and if he loses, he will be stuck in the network forever. 

Making the video was a lot of hard work, and it was stressful at times, but it was really fun to film with all my friends and watch them act and come up with funny lines,” director Joey Dunphey said.”I knew that the competition for the video this year would be tough, so I was really excited when they gave us first place.”

At Spirit Night, the sophomores did very well. The dance received second place, only losing to the seniors. 

“I’m so incredibly proud of all the kids that participated every weekend at practice to make the dance incredible,” choreographer Jillian Terri said. “At Spirit Night, they went out and had fun; that is all I wanted them to do, no matter what place we got.”

The dance featured sports-related songs such as “We Will Rock You,” “All I Do is Win,” and “Getcha Head in the Game.” Although the sophomores performed inconsistently in some relays, it did not jeopardize their total score as they still ended up winning Spirit Night. The class of 2019 should be up to the challenge of defending its throne next year.

• Sophomore Sportscenter emerges as champion

J.R. Spencer influences the lives around him

Dr. Colontino takes unique path to become school psychologist

Yarasheski named Educational Services Professional of the year

Boys swim gives impressive performance to win third at Conference Championships

Holocaust and Genocide class puts on exhibit

Fortnite takes over gaming universe

Boys swim defeats Marlboro to advance in state competition

World Views

Puppy Bowl features fierce competitors

World Views

Falcon Heavy successfully launched into space