The class of 2020 takes on its first Spirit Night

by Jennifer Klein

The Class of 2020 prepares to get its chant on before the Spirit Night festivities.

Grant Gibbs and Matthew Patrizio

During the day, the Freshman Fame showed off their mural, commons display, and video. For first time competitors, the freshmen exemplified a multitude of talents and showed plenty of potential for the coming years. Their mural was a red carpet premiere decked out with celebrities, paparazzi, and fans. Overall, not only was it very clean and neat, but it was also well executed for a freshman mural.

The freshman commons display was styled after a Hollywood dressing room, filled with a mirror, makeup, costumes, a tiled floor, a director’s chair, and more. Again, this was a very impressive display for a freshman class and shows plenty of potential for their future years. The only thing to improve upon would be to add a back wall to the display, but other than that it was styled really well.

The video that played during period two was short and sweet. The quality of the video as well as some of the shots were great. There was a motif involving past year’s murals with a student standing in front of them, gazing upon them. Overall, like the other events, the video definitely showed potential for future years.

When it came to showing up in the gym later that night, the freshman class rocked their very first Spirit Night. Although they came in fourth place for many events, it was clear just how proud they all were of each other as they came together, everyone in one place for the first time.

For first timers, the freshmen took on their relays and activities with confidence. Not one freshman that came down onto the gym floor looked nervous or embarrassed. Each was ready to show his or her friends and the upperclassmen just how prepared they were.

Needless to say, the freshmen killed their dance. Choreographed to songs and music relating to fame and celebrity, they proved that they are not a class to be messed with and that they are going to be tough competition in the future.

Freshman Sage Johnston, who helped choreograph the dance, said that she can’t wait to get back out on the dance floor next year. “I couldn’t be more proud of my classmates for working hard to pull the dance off,” Johnston said.

The freshman shirt, although having placed in last, was simple yet stunning. With black as its main color, it was decorated to look like a Hollywood star. It was just right: not too flashy, not too bland.

The class of 2020 managed to come in second place for their chant, beating the sophomores and even the seniors. The other grades better watch out next year. If this Spirit Night was any indicator, the class of 2020 came ready to win.