Latin students take Manhattan: Annual trip to Metropolitan Museum of Art was a Success

Senior Mahesh Indraganti sizes up the classical art on disaplay at the Met during last month's Latin trip.

courtesy of Mahesh Indraganti

courtesy of Mahesh Indraganti

Courtney Nielsen, Staff writer

On April 26, 50 Latin students traveled to New York City to attend the annual field trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Latin teacher Dr. Ralph Smith has been taking students on this trip for 14 years.

According to Smith, students were able to experience a one hour tour of the museum, guided by a member of the museum staff. Following the tour, students were permitted to explore any part of the museum that interested them. Junior Jack Edwards attended the trip and took a lot away from the experience.

“Personally, I really enjoyed the modern art,” Edwards said. “I’m used to seeing so much Renaissance art at museums so it was interesting to see something different.”

The purpose of the trip is to immerse students in the Greek and Roman culture that they study in class, for which the museum has both permanent collections and special exhibits.

“Students are usually impressed by the recently built (at a cost of $230,000,000) ancient Greek and Roman galleries,” Smith said. “They should leave not only stimulated by the ‘buzz’ of NYC, but also by immersion in an enormous collection of art and artifacts from one of the world’s great museums.”

English teacher Shawn Layton and Spanish teacher Blanca Varela also chaperoned the field trip and found the Metropolitan Museum of Art very informative.
“This was my third or fourth time taking the trip and I look forward to it every year,” Layton said.  “I think the kids are always amazing and every year I learn something new.”

• Latin students take Manhattan: Annual trip to Metropolitan Museum of Art was a Success

Marching band continues its dominance with another state title

Interact hosts the Halloween Costume Contest

Meet Aimee Thomson, our new College and Career Counselor

Dodgeball Tournament sparks friendly competition and helps those in need

Halloween playlist to get your spook on

Boro gymnasts crowned county champs for fourth straight season

Op-Ed

Call it Terrorism

• Op-Ed

#Metoo gives a voice to the voiceless

Op-Ed

Which social media platform is tops?

News

Spirit Night themes are made official