Boys track breaks school record

Senior Joe Bevilacqua joined forces with Jeremy Shipley, Thomas Deluca, and Kennedy Penn to set a new school record in the 4X400 relay race.

by Joe Bevilacqua

by Joe Bevilacqua

Liz Reilly, Staff Writer

The boys track team proves once again that they are a force to be reckoned with. On May 27, the boys 4×400 team broke a Hillsborough High School record at Sectionals. Joseph Bevilacqua, Kennedy Penn, Jeremy Shipley, and Thomas Deluca brought home this huge accomplishment for the Raiders. After previously running times individually that would allow them to break the record, the boys went into the race knowing the record was a possibility.

The boys had attempted to break the record before, but needed more consistency in order to make the time. Although the Raiders were in the fastest group, Penn started the race strong, leading the boys to third place. Next to run was Bevilacqua, who was able to keep the race close to the competitors ahead of him. Deluca ran next, competing against the number one runner from South Brunswick, but was still able to hand the baton off to Shipley while still in third place. Shipley then competed against Franklin’s number one runner, and finished the race strong. The team managed to finish in fourth place. Despite not winning the overall race, they replaced the 3:20:80 record with their new accomplishment, 3:20:00.

“We were all thrilled especially when we did not think we beat it. This race had also qualified us for Groups in Egg Harbor and Nationals in North Carolina in June,” Bevilacqua said.

This accomplishment is props to the boys’ hard work, leadership, and determination. Best of luck to the boys in their future races!

• Boys track breaks school record

Senior Destinations

• Boys track breaks school record

Raiders Take Teen Arts Festival

• Boys track breaks school record

Sophomores Rush Into Spirit Night, Finish 3rd

• Boys track breaks school record

Junior Jazz takes 2nd place on Spirit Night

• Boys track breaks school record

Freshman Party Their Way Through Their First Spirit Night

• Boys track breaks school record

Seniors win Spirit Night 2018

• Features

Spring 2018 HHS Arts Gallery

• Boys track breaks school record

“Breaking In”: A thrilling thriller

• Boys track breaks school record

News

Hillsborough welcomes new Starbucks

• Boys track breaks school record

News

Weather Committee is newest addition to physical education department

Boys track breaks school record