Students pursue independent studies

courtesy of Sydney Vanvourellis

Senior Sydney Vanvourellis with John Saverino. The two got to know each other while Vanvourellis studied under the guidance of Mary Dubberly.

Alex Cole, Staff writer

A popular option for seniors at HHS is to pursue an independent study. Specifically, seniors Rhea Bolar and Sydney Vanvourellis, each engaged in one.

Under the supervision of special education teacher Mary Dubberly, Vanvourellis worked with students in the special education department. She felt that the experience would be valuable.

“On a personal level, they’ve encouraged me to be happy and smiley every single day, and also not to worry about a thing but to just do my best,” Vanvourellis said. “As far as learning to help special needs kids, I have experienced so many circumstances that have allowed me to understand what to do in any situation. Whether they just need help focusing, want to share with you something exciting, or are having a meltdown, I know how to handle it.”

By engaging in an independent study, Vanvourellis ensured that she wants to work with special needs children and adults as a profession.

Bolar studied under art teacher Faith Wight, exploring the realms of photography.

I learned a lot of new techniques and styles while expanding my own knowledge and technique in photography,” Bolar said.

Having already taken both Photography and Advanced Photography, Bolar seeked to further pursue her interest. Hence, she approached Wight about an independent study and has truly enjoyed her experience.

There are other areas in which students can take an independent study, including science. Junior Kyle Wengryn hopes to study independently next year under his current biology teacher Craig Hoppe.

Congratulations to all students who have completed independent studies this year, and good luck to all who plan to do so in the future.