Art 1A looks to have another successful year

by Michael Shokoff

Art 1A class discusses their plans for the day.

Michael Shokoff, Staff writer

Art 1A is an opportunity for special education students to participate in the film making process as actresses and actors. It allows the students to have a class dedicated to creating films with them as the main characters.

Senior Colin Downes is currently working alongside art teacher Michael Bober to help film and direct this year’s film. However, this isn’t the senior’s  first experience with the program. Zoey Downes, Downes’s older sister who is currently attending the University of South Carolina, completed this independent her senior year as well. Colin stayed after school with her, her partners, and Bober on multiple occasions and saw firsthand what the project entails.

“I was so intrigued by what they did and how well they were able to work with the self contained students,” Downes said. “I had been taken aback by their ability to act in these short films. From then on, I hoped that Mr. Bober would ask me to be part of this experience.”

This year, Downes and the crew are making two movies with two different groups of students each semester. The movies are short features and about 15 minutes in length. They will work on the movies every day during periods 4-5, as well as plenty of time spent after school.

“I cannot reveal the entire plot, but get ready for a trip to Broadway with our talented actors and actresses,” Downes said.

Downes’s daily task is far from easy. Each day starts off with him getting his camera equipment set up while the students who are in the scene get into their “costumes”. From there, they film for the entire period. One day a week Downes and Bober even stay after school to go over what they have done, edit the material they have, and plan what they will be filming in the succeeding week.

Bober is crucial to the success of the Art 1A. His familiarity and advanced skill with the cameras, video editing software, and basically the entire film world are a huge help. Without Bober, the show definitely wouldn’t go on.

“I’m excited for the final products of these two movies,” Downes said. “I know it’s going to be rewarding for not only me, but the special education students I’m working with. The night of the movie premiere is going to be exciting.”