Interact hosts the Halloween Costume Contest

Courtesy of Liliana Passalacqua

The gymnastics team takes home first place with their Snapchat filter costumes.

Courtney Nielsen, Staff writer

On Tues. Oct. 31, the students of HHS got spooky and came to school in costumes of choice. Every year the student body takes Halloween to the extreme, and 2017 was no exception. Amidst a sea of clowns and vampires were literal black-eyed peas, rollerbladers, and motorcyclists on razor scooters.

Every year students have the opportunity to enter a costume contest run by Interact, a service club at HHS. Interact has about 40 members that meet bi-weekly to discuss local service opportunities. The club is advised by teachers Jaime Foote and Jaclyn Moskowitz, and is headed by student board members Liliana Passalacqua, Eshaan Soman, Varun Krishna, Nina Patel, Shreya Kaul, Alice Cheng, and Manasi Soman.

All students are welcome to enter the contest with only a one dollar entry fee per person, with proceeds going to future Interact service projects for hurricane relief.

The categories for the contest included large group costumes, small group costumes, and individual costumes. The large group winner was the school gymnastics team, who came together to dress up as the Snapchat filters. They were followed by the second place group who dressed as the cast of Wreck it Ralph, and the third place group of girls who each dressed as a decade from the 20th century.

The small group winner was a group of cookies, followed by second place winners Sam Sara and Molly O’Sullivan, who executed professional-grade SFX makeup to scare their peers. The third place small group prize went to the comical cast of Napoleon Dynamite.

Many students went after the coveted position of first place individual costume, but the prize went to senior Dianna Loricco, who won with a literary reference as the Eyes of T.J. Eckleburg from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. Second place winner was junior Thendral Nagarajan as a Human Jack O’ Lantern, and third place went to junior Aahna Rathod as Chad Danforth from High School Musical.

“Thank you so much to everyone who participated,” Passalacqua said. “We’re grateful for everyone who joined the contest and donated to our hurricane relief efforts!”