Which social media platform is tops?

by Sean Jackson

Evaluation of social media was eye-opening for many students.

Sean Jackson, Staff writer

Social media may have taken over the 21st century causing young adults to become addicted to their phones, but which social media platform is superior?

English teacher Eric Puma ran an experiment in his period 3 English IV CP class to figure out which is the best form of social media. As an introduction to evaluative argument, Puma’s students created categories such as popularity, ad frequency, entertainment, etc. Collectively, the class began to rank Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram from 1-4 for each category.

Before adding up the totals, many different predictions were thrown out for which is the best social media application. Some things were brought up that could lead this survey to be biased. For example, some discussed that Facebook is the most popular among all age groups. However, if they just stuck to the idea of just high school students, most agreed the most popular would be Snapchat.

“Without a doubt I thought it would be Snapchat,” senior Kennedy Penn said. “I mean who doesn’t use that app? Even my mom has one!”

After tallying up all the points, the class noticed that Facebook was in last by double digit  points! This surprised many while others were confident in the app they personally predicted. Shocking the whole class Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram all came out to a dead tie with 30 points.

After debating each category, the class was stumped on how to break the tie. They soon realized that there were not many things they could change. They realized in the end that the three apps were equal when it came to the best app among high school students.

“I was shocked!” senior Nathalia Pignato said. “I thought everyone had a different preference when it came to social media, but it turns out we all had pretty similar thoughts!”

The biggest takeaway? Use the platform that works for your lifestyle.