Student council brings holiday joy to Safe+Sound Somerset

By Courtney Nielsen

Members of Student Council dance along with the party attendees.

Courtney Nielsen, Staff writer

After months of planning for school events such as Homecoming and Spirit Night, members of HHS’s student government took a break to get into the holiday spirit and give back to the community. On Dec. 6, Student Council and Class Cabinet members hosted their annual holiday party for Safe+Sound Somerset.

Safe+Sound is a local organization that provides help for women and children of domestic abuse, giving them a place to stay, a person to talk to, or anything else they may need. Hosting a party for the shelter is a unique experience for HHS students because it allows them to see how fortunate they are, while also allowing them to share their joy with others.

Student Council secretary Mackenzie Kiernan said that her favorite part of the night was seeing the pure happiness on the children’s faces throughout the entire event.

“Being with the kids is so much fun,” Kiernan said. “It’s amazing to watch them open up right in front of you and truly enjoy what we’ve put together for them.”

The goal of the party is to give these mothers and their children a traditional Christmas experience, so each cabinet prepared a craft or activity for the kids, which included Christmas tattoos, decorating paper gingerbread houses, and a game of throwing paper snowballs. The night would not have been complete without all the attendees dancing as a group, and of course, a visit from Santa.  

Not only was it a night for the parents and children to remember, the volunteers enjoyed the party as much as the guests. Senior Class secretary Colin Downes is grateful for the opportunity to give back to the families of the community.

“Giving back to the kids and their mothers at a time of the year that is most likely very difficult for them made me reflect about how lucky I am, and how those of us who are more fortunate can use our privileges to help others,” Downes said. “It is events like the Christmas party that will make me miss being a part of the HHS community.”